Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Small Truth I forgot to say (Fiction)

Hello,
Let me first apologise for having kept you in the dark for so long.I wanted to say it before but i didnt really feel like. This is no big secret trust me.But its very personal and if you may say i think most personal things are a big secret.

I dont know why i want you to keep this a secret .And I dont even know why do I trust that you will.

I am sure you are not aware I have a sister. THis is not much of a thing to hide actually. And I didnt want to hide it in the first place. But I wonder if you'd want to meet my sister.

No ..its not that I'm saying you are not straight or something. I know you like to meet girls and even take them on a date sometimes. I even know about the pastry party you had been to with Mike's sister and that you enjoyed it a lot.
No...Its not that I'm saying my sister isn't pretty or anything. She's kind of tall if you'd see her from a distance but then I'm sure shes an inch shorter than you. She's got brown eyes and she laughs rather sweetly.She's slender and appears rather frail at the first sight But i know her very well and I know that she is very strong.
No...Its not that she's very difficult or anything.She's very sweet and all.. and the best thing is that if you are in trouble she understands. She's been in the girl scouts movement or something and they taught her to do one good thing everyday and she kind of does one too many. She's kind and caring.She loves animals and kids says both are alike. Boy ! her goodness kills me.
I am sure you are not understanding everything that i am saying.Thats probably because I am talking too fast and partly because you are confused.

My sister dropped from school last week. The teachers were sad or something when she quit.It seemed rather puky and all with teachers and kids all crying that they would not see my sister again.

Mom passed away when sister was born and just days before she did relatives and friends hugged cried and kissed me till I puked from the smell of their sweat.I hate the smell and I smell it at my sister's school sometimes.

Sister herself was sad when I walked her back from school in what she knew was her last walk back from school. She looked tired in that frail smile of hers, and we walked the streets of Bristorln right from south Madisson's avenue right through Mayflower into Santorini where I have my flat.(Last spring you had come there with Mike!)

The walk was rather long but we made it watching the migrating pelicans flying the south sky .It was'nt any kind of game or something but we liked staring at these wonderful creatures visiting Bristorln every year but flying southwards just before winter . Many die in the process but their children come here everytime.

Sister was at the Intensive care three days later. Seeing her smile through the hospital door, I knew that the Intensive Care was too very harsh on her frail body,but nothing for her strong mind.The nurses were supposed to be caring and all ..well they were as caring as a pack of wolves. But then they were nurses and wore clean clothes and all.

Well theres nothing bull about what I'm saying and most of it is twisted and all..and makes no sense to me atleast. I know i should have told this earlier but was busy and all and I forgot. I am saying it all now cos its true and i got to speak the truth sometime.

Early next dawn sister was wide awake on her Intensive Care bedding and all and the nurses were'nt inside the place . So I opened the curtians to let the sunrays fall in. The sun looked beautiful and all. Bristorln looked very majestic and all with the red ball of fire in the backdrop.
Theres something dry and missing about the buildings of a city that I always loved. Bristorln , a city with a million people fighting all the time, fighting for life or fighting for death ,but none I know caring to live the life or die the death that they have .Its funny and all but straight pukish. Trust me it feels so twisted.

I should have told this earlier I know and I did'nt mean to keep it a secret or anything.But somehow I forgot. Sister is damn good at painting. I mean she has painted a lot of people and places. And painted them damn well. Its funny how something so still can have so much of life within it. She painted crowds and trust me , you really feel the crowd when you see it in a painting. Tens of faces, sometimes a hundred sometimes more but each face so distinct and meaningful especially those eyes and all .She painted the Floyd market place,the hospital, Mayflower church, Metro Stop, Tressa avenue, Madisson avenue, Bishop Chokker's girl's scool and a lot of park and garden stuff.She could add so much of life to a bland lookin paper....Its funny but damn well true.

I asked her if the nurses told her anything about eating chocolates and all.I had bought her a slab of dairy milk but didnt know whether the nurses would let her eat it.She was living on drips if you know what I mean ...I mean she didnt eat much and that killed me! Somebody or the other was always coming to meet her crying and all that getting her a bunch of flowers and some fruits and all.It was pretty stupid to get fruits for someone who's in the intensive care cos the nurses never let you meet the person inside.You had to see her through this small window or something in the porch. It feels funny and all looking at someone through a window,crying all the while handing over all your fruits to the nurses.

She smiled weakly as I put back the slab of chocolate back into my pocket. That killed me . She was always smiling or something.And that was always killing me or something. I saw her staring through the open curtains. I followed her sight and found a lone pelican perched on a grey building. The pelican was very old and had a broken wing or something. I dont know nothing about pelicans except that this one was frightened .

The birds were flying the south sky or something. Hundreds of them were leaving the city, in undeniable haste. Nobody waited anymore,not for the winds,the daylight,not for the sounds of the city,nothing...The pelicans flew in a gigantic V. Several of the clan broke flight for rest for a minute or two..Migration was a necessity,that defied age...and the strongest ones flew.The old pelican with a wing damaged in some city accident lay stuck in horror watching all his sisters fly away in haste.They loved him ...true but nobody can escape migration nobody ...except if you were hurt and were one of the very few of an endangered kind.

I turned to look at my sister. I was shocked as the greatest of my horrors struck me across my face.Her eyes were closed and calm.She had a quiet smile in her undisturbing sleep. I felt alone, felt hurt and felt one of the very few of an endangered kind.

I left the place leaving a blank cheque at the hospital reception. I dont know what happened of her anymore ,But I dont care anymore cos I know she'll be fine . Cos she knows to fly the V. So I dont speak of her anymore. Not that its a great secret or anything.I just dont.

YoursSincerely.

No comments: